Friday, April 11, 2008

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

It was another beautiful day today. My attempt to go to the park with Laura and Grant on Wednesday was successful, so I decided to try it again. Grant's tummy was full, so we raced out the door this afternoon to enjoy some sunshine and activity.

The first roadblock (literally) happened on the way to Concord Park. A power line was down, so we had to turn around. Luckily I figured out another route to get us there. So a little behind schedule, we arrive. After unloading all the gear — and, boy, it takes more with an infant — we arrive at our spot. About halfway through eating our lunch, Grant pipes up, and I think, "He can't be hungry, so he must have a dirty diaper."

That was an understatement!

We hit our second roadblock: The boy had totally blown out his diaper, and it is seeping out of his pants onto the car seat. Laura had only one blowout diaper in her entire infancy, so this is a new thing for me. I attempted to change my son on the park bench, and, thankfully, I had packed extra burp cloths and a change of clothes!

Did I mention how windy it was today? As I was changing him, the dirty wipes were blowing away, but I had my little helper with me, and she graciously picked up our mess. Of course by now, Grant is hungry. Not being one to nurse publicly yet, I had packed a bottle, so we were set.

Laura had a blast at the park and asked me about 20 times to push her on the swing. Being unable to at the time, another mom graciously did this for me while I finished up with Grant. We enjoyed a stroll around the park and finished off by playing in the sand by the lake.

And the perk of our day: We were all so tired that we took a nap when we got home. Mine was cut a little short because Grant was hungry again, but I'll take the 30-minute power nap.

Below is a picture from the Baby Blessing at church this past Sunday. It was powerful to have your church commit to help raise your child in the Lord. I'm glad we were able to be a part of this year's blessing day since we will be moving shortly. It was a bit emotional for me, as I know our time here is nearing to an end.


9 comments:

Cara said...

Sara, I laughed out loud picturing the dirty wipes flying around. So sweet of Laura to pick those up.

Holly said...

An outing with 2 is so different, I am glad you survived. I am so glad he takes a bottle, I thought that was going to be part of the story that he wouldn't take a bottle, you had to leave and Laura didn't want to. I am glad she was there to catch the wipes!

April said...

I'm sooo impressed that you are venturing out with TWO kids already! I think Josiah was closer to 3 months old before I was brave enough to venture out with both of them all by myself. I am thankful you are able to get out with both kids.

I LedOL about the blowout diaper! We can certainly relate, but what a mess! I'm glad you survived and that Laura had some fun.

The baby blessing day was nice. I'm glad you all were here to particpate in that before heading back to Searcy. Now, I won't think about what I just said because I, too, could get very emotional. You are dear to us.

Shana said...

What a funny story! I remember thinking, "Am I crazy for having 2 kids?" when I went on my first outing alone with the kids. It never fails that they both need your attention at the same time.

The family picture is precious! What a sweet family!

c said...

Ok funny! The dirty wipes blowing in the wind!
By the way you look really good in that family pic!
I am sorry you so emotional at the blessing. How could you not?
Can't wait for you guys to get back here! (Do you notice a theme in all my comments? ha ha Know that at least one person is excited about your move to Searcy!)

Anonymous said...

Some days just go that way...I am impressed that you pressed on! I tend to hole up before we have hit too much trouble because sometimes I just have the feeling that it is "one of those days". I guess we need those to help us remember how amazing the normal and fun ones are. I found myself hoping (during the wipe chasing story) that the wipes weren't too dirty...it is impressive that Laura picked them up even though they were from a dirty diaper! :) What a sweet helper! Who knew that we would be involved in such things? And yet, who would change a bit of it...not I!

Dallas said...

good for you getting out! it is so, so hard with an infant. with nora, i was always a modest nurser, with elyn, i am still modest, but i definitely nurse in public. have you seen the "hooter hiders" (actual name)? they are great and make nursing in public a breeze. might be something to look into if you are planning on nursing for long. you look beautiful!!!!!

Jenn said...

Great job and getting out with both kids!! The blowout diaper story is a hoot...we had so many more of those with Parker than the girls...those little boys are cute little Poopers!!

I love it that more churches are doing the baby blessings...it takes all of us together to support one another to raise Christian Children. I know they will be so excited to see ya'll in Searcy.

Hello blog buddies! It's me, Crouse! said...

i was all about the hooter hider! karie lent me hers and it was a lifesaver! I tagged you on my blog to list 7 random things about yourself. You don't have to do it, but just know that I thought of you :). in your spare time, of course!