Monday, February 25, 2008

Observations on Being the Wife of a Dissertating Husband


  • The laptop is always on and Jim's fingers are always tapping away.

  • Sometimes (on days he doesn't teach classes) Jim doesn't takes a shower until 6 p.m. or later.

  • Hence, his new attire consists of pajama bottoms and long-sleeve T-shirts.

  • His work is never done.

  • Jim's office is in the basement now that we have turning the guest/office room into a nursery. The funny part is that our basement is unfinished, meaning he has cornered off with sheets a roughed-in bathroom. His desk and bookshelf is down there along with a space heater. It is quite cozy, but it helps him to stay focused during the day away from Laura's lively activities upstairs.

  • Our evenings now consist of me passed out on the couch watching reality T.V. and Jim tapping away at — you guessed it — the laptop.

  • His bedtime reading has now changed to reading scholarly articles.

  • Laura's comments are, "Daddy, are you going to your school day in the basement?"

  • We are home together three days a week. I like to call us "one big happy family."

All joking aside, I never really understood the magnitude of completing a dissertation until recently. Jim, I am incredibly impressed at your diligence and work ethic. You make us proud.

6 comments:

April said...

I am laughing out loud, Sara! The two comments about "school day in the basement," and "one big happy family," are hysterical! You really weren't kidding when you said he was coming out of his dungeon hole on the phone earlier. I had no idea just how serious you were, he, he. He is really typing in the unfinished, unheated basement?! How hysterical!!! Call me anytime you and Laura need some diversion. And just think...the harder he works, the sooner he is finished...and this will all be behind you...and you'll have two precious kids to keep up with...then you really will be one big happy family! Love ya!

Ginger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ginger said...

Sara- don't know what happened there. I was trying to leave a comment. Anyway- I feel your pain!! I too am very proud of JohnWill, but it does feel like the work is never ending. I have a feeling it will always be like that with his chosen profession, however.

c said...

Poor JIM! In the basement! What did the guy do to get sent to the basement?!?! Kidding I know he is there for peace and quiet but it sounds like he is being sent to the dog house!
I guess he will be ready to come back to Searcy just to get out of the basement!!!

Jeanne said...

they should hand out associate PhD's for the wife's hard work and support.

Brittyne Fitzgerald said...

Oh girl...I was just catching up on your blog and saw this post. I laughed. My experience with disserating is quite the opposite but I love the mental image of Jim working furiously. I can't believe it is almost time for baby! Blessings to you and the baby! Can't wait to hear more! Brittyne