Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Beware of the Fine Print

Since we are moving, I am in the process of canceling my membership at Court South health club in Knoxville.

Not as easy as I thought it would be. I am realizing that these types of businesses are shady.

Last March, I signed on for a year's worth of training sessions. It is really one of the best things I have done for myself, and I learned a lot and toned up along the way.

The one small, yet very important detail that the gym staff failed to mention was that my contract "auto renewed." Funny how they conveniently forget to mention that was part of my contract. Yes, I should have read it thoroughly, but it seems that's a detail that should have been highlighted.

So while I was in the hospital delivering Grant, my contract renewed and I was charged an $80 monthly training fee.

When I got around to calling the company, they informed me of the "auto renewal" part of my contract. They said if I wanted to cancel I had to send a certified letter with return receipt requesting cancellation. I spent $5 to get the letter mailed.

To my surprise, I was charged again in April for another month's training fee. I called Court South, and they said it takes 30 days to cancel the account. Therefore, another month's fee was charged. WHAT? I have to wait for them to process the cancellation, and I get charged for it?

Today, I attempted to cancel my gym membership at Court South. I renewed my membership last year for three years to get the lower monthly rate. Knowing I would be moving before the three-year mark, the kind gym membership representative assured me that I would only pay $100 to cancel my account.

No problem, I can do that in order to get the lower monthly rate. I called the gym today to get the cancellation process going and was informed that if I my new home (Searcy) is within 35 miles of one of their affiliated gyms, my membership would automatically transfer to that gym.

I told the gym rep that I don't want to drive 35 miles to work out, and her lovely response was, "It is in the contract you signed." Thankfully, since we are moving to the quaint town of Searcy, there are no affiliated gyms, and I can cancel my membership. Of course that is after I send proof of residence, proof of a new job, and a certified letter canceling my membership.

And if you didn't guess it, it will take 30 days to process once they receive and verify all the information, meaning I probably will be charged for another month's membership while they take their time to get all that processed.

Lesson learned: Read ALL the fine print.

9 comments:

Andrea said...

Aaaagggh! So frustrating. Mean ol' gym. I thought people who worked out that much were supposed to be friendlier because of all those endorphins they produce!

Cara said...

How annoying! I'm not a fine print reader either, but maybe I'll start now! Hope you get out of the contract soon and not before you have to shell out any more $.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Who knew or would EVER expect all of that business! I think I would be relieved to be out of it. :)

Adam Thompson said...

My brother, sister-in-law, and I all had similar issues with Court South four years ago. It sounds like they haven't changed a bit.

Ryan said...

Did you pay with a credit card? Call and talk to your credit card company. It's likely that you can get most, perhaps all, of the charges removed.

Jeanne said...

first, i love the graphic!

second, next time you speak to my mother ask her about my experience during my high school years with New Lady Fitness. Let's just say lawyers were involved :)

Ginger said...

Super annoying... you shouldn't need a team of lawyers just to join a gym!!

Shana said...

Man..I am getting a little scared with all of these gym experiences. The gym that I go to is more like a high school weight room and we are basically on the honor system of paying. I used to be jealous of all of those big fancy gyms but now I think I am thankful for the high school weightroom atmosphere. (Even though it is a little stinky). Good luck getting that resolved.

Here is the info that you were asking about: 1630 Carolina
Graham, TX 76450

Cindy said...

That is unreal. Absolutely ridiculous. I feel for ya!