Thursday, January 31, 2008

Transitions & Showers

I will be talking about my transitions frequently since our baby is set to arrive in seven weeks. I've always been emotional when it comes to change.

Today, I experienced a first of many forthcoming changes. It was my last day of teaching for a few years. While I welcome a new phase of being at home full time, I also really loved my job. I loved my students, the staff, and the good feelings I got from working there. It was extremely rewarding. If I haven't already said this, I worked three mornings a week at a small private school specifically for the Brethren religion. I mainly had one-on-one interaction with students who had struggles in different areas. The students were top notch, respectful and very appreciative of their teachers. (Almost sounds too ideal!)

As I finished my last class, the principal told me I was needed in another room. I followed, knowing something was up. All the students had gathered in one room and showered me with gifts and expressions of appreciation. It was special.

My students had picked out gifts for me that were so personal! One of my quiet students gave me a duck that laughs when you squeeze his toe. He wanted to make up for all the times he was so quiet in my room. I cried the whole drive home, and my sweet husband, who knew this day would be emotional for me, was waiting at home with flowers. I closed a chapter in my life today.


















My church friends and family showered me with love on Sunday. Have I said how much I love our church? They are the most real people to me! It was a fun time of opening gifts and sharing this time with my friends.


7 comments:

April said...

I just love the surprise thank you that the students gave you. I am thankful that the chapter you closed was a positive one. I pray that the new ones ahead will be positive, too, each in it's own special way.

Your church shower was fun! I am glad I got to be a part of it.

The picture of Laura with the book is adorable! I know she will be a good big sister.

Ginger said...

I love that picture of Laura. She will be a precious big sister.

I am emotional about change too, but in hindsight it usually ends up being a good thing.

Cara said...

Change is always hard. However, in less than 7 weeks when you look at his/her face, you know it will all be worth it. Can't wait to find out if it is a boy or girl!!! By the way, Laura is precious. Just the proud look on her face makes me smile.

amy said...

Such a great sendoff! I am glad your students recognized how wonderful you are! A true blessing.

I can't believe you are just 7 weeks away!!!

c said...

What special times and memories! Can't wait to meet the new Miller baby soon! I also can't wait for you to get here! That is one change I am happy about - I know that it will hard for you guys to leave there but I am excited about having a dear friend come home!

Brittyne Fitzgerald said...

What a great ending to this chapter! I can't imagine my school throwing me a shower much less my students! I am excited for the new one on the way! Love you guys!

Holly said...

How wonderful that you loved your job so much. You will love staying home with your 2 little ones! I am anxious to hear what you have.